The VIP Program matches community volunteers with one of the district's participating schools. If you are the parent, stepparent, legal guardian or grandparent of a student at the school in which you wish to volunteer, please contact the school or teacher directly to discuss volunteer opportunities.
2015 First Place Winner
National School Boards Association
Now in their 21st year, the Magna Awards recognize school districts and their leaders taking bold and innovative steps to improve the lives of their students and their communities. An independent panel of school board members, administrators and other educators selected the winners from nearly 250 submissions, and the presentation was made at NSBA's Annual Conference in Nashville on March 21, 2015. Read the article in the American School Board Journal.
Volunteer in Paradise! Join our VIPs in the 2016-17 school year.
We are looking for dedicated, high-quality volunteers seeking meaningful opportunities to make a difference. Volunteer tutors are needed in all subject areas in kindergarten through grade 6. Opportunities may be available at one or more of the following elementary schools: Arrowhead, Desert Shadows, Echo Mountain Primary, Mercury Mine, North Ranch or Sunset Canyon.
100% of our volunteers would recommend the VIP program to friends and family seeking volunteer opportunities.
100% of our teachers reported the academic achievement of their students increased due to the additional academic intervention provided by our volunteers.
Our volunteers will
- Work one-on-one or with small groups of children with the goal of increasing their achievement
- Serve as caring adult role models
- Receive professional training to prepare for working in a classroom
- Develop a supportive working relationship with teachers
- Become part of a school community
- Meet new friends through continuing education seminars and socials
- Volunteer at least one day per week for a predetermined schedule
- Work from one to ten hours per week during school hours
- Commit to the entire academic school year ending in May
- Complete a fingerprint background check upon making a commitment
- Attend the two-hour volunteer orientation and two half-days of professional training
Would you like to learn more? Attend the orientation to find out whether this is the right volunteer opportunity for you. Orientations are held at the Paradise Valley Community Education Building on 32nd Street just south of Greenway Road, at 15032 N. 32nd Street, Phoenix 85032.
Orientations are held once per month, with the exception of December. The February orientation is the final one for this 2016-17 school year. If this date is not convenient for you, please email Laurie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, February 6th, from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon
Register for the volunteer orientation online.